How it all began …

On 11th January 1953, 28 Christians covenanted together to become Adeyfield Free Church (Congregational) although work and witness had been going on for some time in the neighbourhood. Adeyfield was the first of the new neighbourhoods in Hemel Hempstead , and in 1949 the Hertfordshire Congregational Union, jointly with the Alexandra Road Congregational church, accepted a site for a new church on the corner of Leverstock Green Road and St Albans Road. As the work grew, Hertfordshire Congregational Union commissioned Mr H Holland to design a dual purpose hall on the site. The foundation stone was laid on 23rd May 1953 and the new building was formally opened and dedicated on 9th January 1954. This was the building which was used by AFC right up until 2018.

At the end of 1953 the church called its’ first minister, Rev Frank W Hewis. Under his leadership the fellowship grew and began to be seen as a focus for Christian worship in Adeyfield and Leverstock Green. In 1970, Rev David Skidmore took over and in October 1972 Adeyfield Free Church became part of the new United Reformed Church.
The original plans for the site had included the provision of a church building in addition to the hall, and in 1972 a Special Church Meeting unanimously agreed on an outline brief for a new building for worship containing a permanent sanctuary and an area that could be used both for worship and other compatible activities.
In 1973 Professor John Musgrove was appointed architect and the foundation stone was laid on 4th October 1975.

A year later, on 3rd October 1976, the first services of worship were held. This building cost £75,000 including fixtures and furnishings.
All the fixtures and furnishings in the sanctuary were designed by the architect and hand-made by local craftsmen. Mr Peter Wilder of Stokenchurch made the cross, the new communion table and the clock casing and Mr Ken Snoxall of Boxmoor made the pulpit, the lectern and the communion chairs.
The new building was dedicated on 6th November 1976.
A new vision …

In 2000, God gave AFC a vision for growth and a new heart for sharing His love with the local community. After lots of prayer and consideration we heard the call to move from our current site to a new development in the heart of Maylands. In 2010, the project MAX (Maylands Expansion) team was formed.
After investigating many different opportunities in 2014, we began working with Hightown Homes to be part of a new development on the corner of Maylands Avenue and Wood Lane End, including low cost housing, shops and a new building for the church.
This new building gives us purpose built facilities to enable us to more effectively help and support the local community and includes a dedicated space for Fingerprints Preschool, children and family activities, counselling as well as better facilities for all our other groups. It also provides a valuable resource for the community.


Key Dates …

1949 Site allocated to Herts Congregtional Union and Alexander Road Congregations Chruch

1951 Sunday School founded by group of Christian Women

1952 Services held in Maylands School Hall with student pastors from New College, London

1953 Adeyfield Free Church (Congregational) was officially created

1953 November. Rev Frank Hewis inducted as Minister

1953 May. Foundation stone laid for dual purpose hall

1954 January 9th. New building formally opened with dedication service

1970 March. Rev David Skidmore inducted as minister

1972 AFC becomes part of the new United Reformed Church

1975 October. New foundation laid for new church to be added to existing building

1976 October. First services held in new building

1976 November. Church dedicated

1980 July. Rev Derek Newton inducted as minister

1988 Rev Richard Davis inducted as minister

1990 Church report states that there are now 235 Members and 100 adherents

1996 April. Rev John Hardaker inducted as minister

2009 March. Rev Peter Blackband inducted as minister

2014 Negotiations started with High Town Homes for developing new site on Maylands Avenue

2015 Contract signed and work begun on new site

2020 First services are held at the Adeyfield Free Church Centre